Nyheter i datorvärlden.
Användarvisningsbild
JoWa
Global Moderator
Utgåva: 24.04 Noble Numbat LTS
Kontakt:

Uppförandekod för Linuxutvecklare

Inlägg av JoWa »

Det har tagits fram en uppförandekod för Linuxutvecklare. Den ersätter tidigare ”konfliktkod” (Code of Conflict).

Linus Torvalds var ovanligt mångordig i sin annonsering av Linux 4.19-rc4, och det är uppförandekoden och en ursäkt som är förklaringen till de många orden. Linus meddelar också att han tar ledigt en tid, och att Greg Kroah-Hartman kommer att ta hans roll för det återstående arbetet med Linux 4.19.

Här följer Linus ord, sedan en inledning till uppförandekoden och slutligen uppförandekoden.
Linus Torvalds skrev:Which brings me to the NOT normal part of the last week: the discussions (both in public mainly on the kernel summit discussion lists and then a lot in various private communications) about maintainership and the kernel community. Some of that discussion came about because of me screwing up my scheduling for the maintainer summit where these things are supposed to be discussed.

And don’t get me wrong. It’s not like that discussion itself is in any way new to this week – we’ve been discussing maintainership and community for years. We’ve had lots of discussions both in private and on mailing lists. We have regular talks at conferences – again, both the “public speaking” kind and the “private hallway track” kind.

No, what was new last week is really my reaction to it, and me being perhaps introspective (you be the judge).

There were two parts to that.

One was simply my own reaction to having screwed up my scheduling of the maintainership summit: yes, I was somewhat embarrassed about having screwed up my calendar, but honestly, I was mostly hopeful that I wouldn’t have to go to the kernel summit that I have gone to every year for just about the last two decades.

Yes, we got it rescheduled, and no, my “maybe you can just do it without me there” got overruled. But that whole situation then started a whole different kind of discussion. And kind of incidentally to that one, the second part was that I realized that I had completely mis-read some of the people involved.

This is where the “look yourself in the mirror” moment comes in.

So here we are, me finally on the one hand realizing that it wasn’t actually funny or a good sign that I was hoping to just skip the yearly kernel summit entirely, and on the other hand realizing that I really had been ignoring some fairly deep-seated feelings in the community.

It’s one thing when you can ignore these issues. Usually it’s just something I didn’t want to deal with.

This is my reality. I am not an emotionally empathetic kind of person and that probably doesn’t come as a big surprise to anybody. Least of all me. The fact that I then misread people and don’t realize (for years) how badly I’ve judged a situation and contributed to an unprofessional environment is not good.

This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me.
I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry.

The above is basically a long-winded way to get to the somewhat painful personal admission that hey, I need to change some of my behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development entirely.

I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to understand people’s emotions and respond appropriately.

Put another way: When asked at conferences, I occasionally talk about how the pain-points in kernel development have generally not been about the technical issues, but about the inflection points where development flow and behavior changed.

These pain points have been about managing the flow of patches, and often been associated with big tooling changes – moving from making releases with “patches and tar-balls” (and the very painful discussions about how “Linus doesn’t scale” back 15+ years ago) to using BitKeeper, and then to having to write git in order to get past the point of that no longer working for us.

We haven’t had that kind of pain-point in about a decade. But this week felt like that kind of pain point to me.

To tie this all back to the actual 4.19-rc4 release (no, really, this is related!) I actually think that 4.19 is looking fairly good, things have gotten to the “calm” period of the release cycle, and I’ve talked to Greg to ask him if he’d mind finishing up 4.19 for me, so that I can take a break, and try to at least fix my own behavior.

This is not some kind of “I’m burnt out, I need to just go away” break. I’m not feeling like I don’t want to continue maintaining Linux. Quite the reverse. I very much do want to continue to do this project that I’ve been working on for almost three decades.

This is more like the time I got out of kernel development for a while because I needed to write a little tool called “git”. I need to take a break to get help on how to behave differently and fix some issues in my tooling and workflow.

And yes, some of it might be “just” tooling. Maybe I can get an email filter in place so at when I send email with curse-words, they just won’t go out. Because hey, I’m a big believer in tools, and at least some problems going forward might be improved with simple automation.

I know when I really look “myself in the mirror” it will be clear it’s not the only change that has to happen, but hey... You can send me suggestions in email.

I look forward to seeing you at the Maintainer Summit.

Linus
Greg Kroah-Hartman skrev:Code of Conduct: Let’s revamp it.
The Code of Conflict is not achieving its implicit goal of fostering civility and the spirit of ‘be excellent to each other’. Explicit guidelines have demonstrated success in other projects and other areas of the kernel.

Here is a Code of Conduct statement for the wider kernel. It is based on the Contributor Covenant as described at http://www.contributor-covenant.org

From this point forward, we should abide by these rules in order to help make the kernel community a welcoming environment to participate in.
Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct skrev:Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct

Our Pledge
In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as contributors and maintainers pledge to making participation in our project and our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.

Our Standards
Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:
  • Using welcoming and inclusive language
  • Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
  • Focusing on what is best for the community
  • Showing empathy towards other community members
Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:
  • The use of sexualized language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or advances
  • Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
  • Public or private harassment
  • Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
  • Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting
Our Responsibilities
Maintainers are responsible for clarifying the standards of acceptable behavior and are expected to take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any instances of unacceptable behavior.

Maintainers have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.

Scope
This Code of Conduct applies both within project spaces and in public spaces when an individual is representing the project or its community. Examples of representing a project or community include using an official project e-mail address, posting via an official social media account, or acting as an appointed representative at an online or offline event. Representation of a project may be further defined and clarified by project maintainers.

Enforcement
Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be reported by contacting the Technical Advisory Board (TAB) at <tab@lists.linux-foundation.org>. All complaints will be reviewed and investigated and will result in a response that is deemed necessary and appropriate to the circumstances. The TAB is obligated to maintain confidentiality with regard to the reporter of an incident. Further details of specific enforcement policies may be posted separately.

Maintainers who do not follow or enforce the Code of Conduct in good faith may face temporary or permanent repercussions as determined by other members of the project’s leadership.

Attribution
This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Contributor Covenant, version 1.4, available at https://www.contributor-covenant.org/ve ... nduct.html
Noble Numbat | Firefox 125β (snap) | Privacy Badger
bittin
Utgåva: 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish LTS
Kontakt:

Re: Uppförandekod för Linuxutvecklare

Inlägg av bittin »

Snack om detta i Linux Unplugged ikväll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsqtUVUoI3Y
bittin
Utgåva: 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish LTS
Kontakt:

Inlägg av bittin »

https://linuxunplugged.com/267 och https://twitter.com/gregkh tar hand om kärnan denna veckan https://techworld.idg.se/2.2524/1.70729 ... rsakt-paus medans Linus chillar och lär sig uppföra sig bättre :P
Användarvisningsbild
Broder Tuck
Utgåva: 16.04 Xenial Xerus LTS

Inlägg av Broder Tuck »

;)
Ja, under årens lopp så har ju Linus gjort sig känd för att kunna vara lite "hård" mot sina medhjälpare. Men det är sannerligen starkt av honom att kunna komma till insikt och att be om ursäkt för sitt tidigare beteende.

Hoppas bara nu, att inte allt för många har lämnat skutan under tiden. Vi behöver dem. :kram:

Jag lyfter på hatten för Linus och hoppas på att han finner sig själv. Starkt jobbat, i vilket fall som helst. /tukken
Ubuntu med både Gnome och Mate. Kör mestadels med LinuxMint Cinnamon till vardags. Våren 2019.
Användarvisningsbild
JoWa
Global Moderator
Kontakt:

Inlägg av JoWa »

Noble Numbat | Firefox 125β (snap) | Privacy Badger
Användarvisningsbild
JoWa
Global Moderator